While car accidents in San Diego are commonplace, when a truck is involved in the collision, the risk of catastrophic injuries becomes exponentially higher. An 18-wheeler, big rig, semi-truck, or other commercial vehicle weighs a lot more than a car, is physically a lot larger and, thanks to both of those characteristics, is much more difficult to maneuver in the event of losing control. With a fully loaded truck weighing up to 80,000 pounds, the potential consequences are unthinkable. Aside from the impact between the truck and your car, the cargo loaded on the commercial vehicle could also pose an additional hazard.
When you, or a loved one, have been injured in a San Diego truck accident, you deserve nothing less than the outstanding legal representation offered by a Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP attorney.
What Causes San Diego Truck Accidents?
As with other types of traffic accident, there are countless possible causes of a San Diego truck accident. While earning our years of experience handling truck accident cases, our attorneys have become aware that these generally tend to fall into one of several broader categories. When you are involved in a San Diego truck accident, you will normally find that the circumstances can be classified as one of the following:
- Distracted driving: Although truck drivers must be highly qualified and experienced, they are still human. It is all too easy to become distracted by a cellphone, item dropped on the floor of the truck’s cab, or other matter. Sadly, this means that it is also all too easy for catastrophic injuries to be sustained as a result
- Driving while fatigued: As trucking companies may incentivize their drivers for making deliveries ahead of schedule, many truckers become tempted to push on despite being tired. Tiredness can significantly impact your reaction times and attention span, potentially leading to truck accidents
- Turning accidents: The size of big rigs and similar trucks makes them very tricky to turn and maneuver. While it is understandable for large trucks to need more than one lane to turn, any negligence on the part of the driver can make this a very dangerous move
- Jack-knifing: Jack-knifing, which occurs when the trailer swings out from behind the cab, can happen when a large truck brakes suddenly or swerves. Sometimes, this can be caused by driver negligence, and your San Diego truck accident attorney will strive to provide irrefutable evidence where this was the case
- DUI: Truck drivers, like any other motorists, can sometimes decide to take to the road while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Of course, the risk of accidents is greatly increased when this poor decision is made
Speak to a San Diego Truck Accident Attorney Today to Recover What You Deserve
If you have been injured in a San Diego truck accident, our expert attorneys can provide the legal guidance and support you need at this traumatic time. By entrusting your case to our safe hands, you are free to concentrate on what is really important – recovering from your injuries and getting back to your everyday life.
Schedule your free initial consultation with a San Diego truck accident attorney by calling us today on 619-630-0205.