Michael Ian Rott
- Managing Partner
Michael Rott is the managing partner at Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP (HRO) and has served as general counsel to the San Diego Riptide, a former AF2 Arena Football Team, as well as providing legal counsel to the Toronto Blue Jays and the former Montreal Expos regarding workers' compensation claims.
Michael represents clients throughout California and across the US for matters involving serious injuries both on and off the job, as well as consumer product class actions.
Michael is committed to providing the very best legal representation. He does this by knowing the law; developing a specific game plan for your claim; knowing the experts; keeping you informed about your case; by maintaining an excellent reputation with the Judges, who will decide your case; and by willing to take your case to the ends of the earth to deliver the benefits and results that he discusses with you throughout your case.
Through creativity, hard work and hiring some of the top experts in their fields, Michael has settled some of the largest workers' compensation cases in the State of California. What makes a number of these cases so unique, is that the previous attorneys were recommending 5-figure settlements, and Michael eventually turned them into nearly 7-figure settlements (nearly 20-$1,000,000.00 + Settlements).
Michael is proud to serve the men and women of our Armed Forces at Camp Pendleton, in Oceanside, California, as a Civilian Panelist Attorney for General Civil Legal matters.
Michael has had the privilege to serve as class counsel in several Class Actions and served as an Executive Committee Member in a Multi-District Litigation Class Action against Apple, Inc. and was interviewed by ABC news regarding this class actions.
In January 2018, Michael received the Distinguished Lawyer Designation from the Expert Network, which is only conferred upon the Top 3% of Lawyers in the U.S.
In September of 2012, Michael was interviewed by THE SUIT magazine on Class Actions.
In 2011, Michael was interviewed by NBC News regarding the September 8, 2011 Southwest Blackout.
In 2011, Michael's peers selected him as a Semi-Finalist for Top Attorneys (Labor/ Employment), which was published by The Daily Transcript.
Michael is the author of The Employee's Workers' Compensation Handbook and is a sought after guest lecturer on labor issues and legal trends.
Michael is also a licensed California Real Estate Broker and the Founder of Union Real Estate. Union Real Estate is a Real Estate Brokerage Firm which provides representation to clients in sales and acquisition of residential and commercial properties.
Michael has served as a Judge Pro Tempore for the San Diego Superior Court, Small Claims Division and the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, San Diego Division.
Michael is a past Committee Member for the San Diego County Bar Ethics Committee and in 1996, Michael was selected as an interviewee for the California State Bar Committee on Professional Rules and Conduct.
Michael presently serves as a member of the Regulations Committee for the California Applicant's Attorneys Association.
Areas Of Practice
- Workers Compensation 90%
- Class Action Lawsuits 10%
- California, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- District of Columbia, 2002
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, California
- Juris Doctorate - 1992
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- B.S. - 1987
- Major: Psychology
- Law Talk -- Welcome to the Labor Leader's First Legal Commentary "Law Talk", San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council Labor Leader, 2009
- Law Talk -- Injured and Facing A Job Layoff, The San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council Labor Leader, 2009
- Law Talk -- Heart Attack After Viagra?, The San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council Labor Leader, 2009
- Injured? Here's Some Advice, The Guild Reporter -- Communications Workers of America
- The Union Defender, Hiden, Rott & Oertle Legal Magazine, 2007
- Author, “The Employee’s Workers’ Compensation Handbook”, Communications Workers of America, Local 9509, 2003
- Ethics in the Courtroom, San Diego Lawyer Magazine, 1996
- Jenny Manybeads, et al. v. United States of America, et al., 06/23/1994 - 10/11/1994
- Tony Busalacchi
- Sally Kasparian
- Tanya LaFrancis
- Peter Keller
- UFCW, Local 135
- Teamsters, Local 542
- California Teachers Association
- San Diego Education Association
- Blackout, NBC San Diego, 09/08/2011 to Present
- Workers' Compensation, California Teachers Association, Region 4 Meeting, 2011 to Present
- Structured Settlements From a Union's Point of View, National Structured Settlements Trade Association Annual Meeting, 2011 to Present
- Pre-Designation of Physician, UFCW, Local 135, 2011 to Present
- The Essential Steps To Take When Injured On The Job, OPEIU, Local 30, 2010 to Present
- Guidelines to Follow when Injured on the Job, Teamsters, Local 542, 2009 to Present
- Organized Labor & Workers Comp, Legal Talk Network, 2008 to Present
- Apple iPhone 3G, Gadget Lab, 2008 to Present
- iPhone 3G Class Action Suit, ABC News/Technology, 2008 to Present
- Steps to Follow When Injured on the Job, CWA, Local 9510, 2007 to Present
- Workers' Compensation and Casino Employees, CWA, Local 9400, 2005 to Present
- Occupational Exposure to Mold, San Diego Education Association, 2003
- Mold in Elementary Schools, Kennedy and Sherman Elementary School Teachers, 2002
- Workers' Compensation Benefits, Iron Workers, Local 229, 2002
- Workers' Compensation Overview, 725 District Lodge - International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers, 2001
- Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury, Communications Workers of America, Local 9509, 1997
- Workers' Compensation, Personal Injury & Immigration in the Construction Industry, San Diego Building & Construction Trades Council, 2013
Honors and Awards
- Top Attorneys Semi-Finalist, Labor/Employment
- Certificate of Honor-UFCW, Local 135
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member, 1993 to Present
- California Applicants' Attorneys Association, Member, 2011 to Present
- San Diego County Bar Ethics Committee, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Gruber, Sachs & Donnet, Law Clerk, 1991 to 1992
- Lieb & Lieb, Law Clerk, 1990 to 1991
- San Diego Superior Court, Small Claims Division, Judge Pro Tempore
- San Diego Superior Court, Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, San Diego Division, Judge Pro Tempore
- Union Real Estate, Founder
- Camp Pendleton, General Civil Legal Matters, Civilian Panelist Attorney
Pro Bono Activities
- San Diego Riptide, General Counsel
- AF2 Arena Football Team
- Major League Baseball, Legal Counsel
- NFL, Legal Counsel
- California Real Estate Broker (Lic. # 01456440)