The term “slip-and-fall accident” refers to any accident where a person slips, trips or falls due to a hazardous or dangerous condition on somebody else’s premises. While a slip or trip may not immediately seem like a major issue, the truth is that these incidents regularly result in fractured or broken bones, head injuries, back injuries, and even fatalities. Despite the frequency at which slip-and-fall accidents happen in San Diego, many people are not aware of their legal rights following such an incident. When you have been seriously injured due to a dangerous or hazardous condition on somebody else’s property, a San Diego slip-and-fall accident attorney could help you to recover a full and fair settlement in respect of your injuries, and the losses you suffer as a result.
The Statistics Relating to San Diego Slip-And-Fall Accidents
As experienced San Diego slip-and-fall accident attorneys, we are familiar with how often these incidents occur, and it is probably more often than you would expect. According to statistics compiled by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and other agencies:
- Over 1 million people in the United States are injured in slip-and-fall accidents each year
- 17,000 fatal injuries are sustained as a result of slip-and-fall accidents annually
- The group most at risk of being injured in slip-and-fall accidents in San Diego and elsewhere in the United States are those aged 65 or older. Around 33 percent of all Americans in this age group suffer at least one fall per year, with injuries of varying levels of severity ensuing
- Slip-and-fall accidents are the leading cause of lost working days, with almost a quarter necessitating over a month away from work
- 60 percent of all workplace slip-and-fall accidents take place within the service industry
- 30 percent of all slip-and-fall accidents cause injury
- The most common injuries inflicted by slip-and-fall accidents include fractures, broken bones and traumatic brain injuries
What Is Premises Liability, and How Does It Apply to Slip-And-Fall Accidents?
Premises liability, in San Diego and elsewhere in California, refers to any accidents that occur due to poor maintenance, negligence, unsafe or dangerous conditions on a property. The premises in question may be an entertainment venue, sports stadium, theme park, shopping mall, sidewalk or any other area accessible either by the public, or by invited visitors. The premises owner has a legal responsibility to maintain their property to a safe standard, ensuring that any visitors are not at risk of being injured. One common cause of slip-and-fall accidents is recently washed or waxed floors, without appropriate warning signage in place.
Whether you or a loved one have sustained a serious injury in a slip-and-fall accident, a San Diego attorney from Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP, could ensure you recover the full amount of compensation you are entitled to.
To schedule your free initial consultation with an outstanding San Diego slip-and-fall accident attorney, call us today on 619-369-3323.