If you, or your child, have been attacked and bitten by a dog in San Diego, a Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP, attorney could be your key to recovering the compensation you are entitled to. While dogs can be fantastic pets and companions, they can also display terrifying levels of aggression, and inflict devastating injuries. Under California law, which is applicable in San Diego and surrounding areas, the dog’s owner will almost always be liable for the injuries inflicted on you by the animal and, as such, liable to pay damages in respect of your injuries, medical expenses, lost earnings and more.
At Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP, our years of experience mean we are well-equipped to secure the full amount of compensation available to you. Our proven track record of success means you can rest assured that your case is in the best hands, while you recover from your injuries.
Dog Bites in San Diego — Facts and Statistics
Firstly, it is important to clarify that, while we are referring primarily to dog bite injuries, these laws apply to attacks from all kinds of animals. However, as dogs are the most popular choice of pet, a San Diego attorney will see significantly more dog bite cases than those involving another breed.
There are only two viable defenses against a dog bite charge in California, namely:
- The victim was trespassing with the intention of committing a crime
- The victim was either provoking the dog, or aware that there was a risk involved in getting close to the dog
Did you know just how common dog bite injuries are? Every year, across the United States:
- More than 4.5 million people are injured by a dog bite
- Children are at the highest risk of being bitten by a dog, and also most likely to sustain severe injuries as a result of a dog bite. Senior citizens come second in terms of risk
- Around 800,000 dog bites requiring medical attention happen, with at least 1 million minor dog bite injuries estimated to occur
- Approximately 1,000 people seek emergency treatment after a dog bite every single day
As you can see from these statistics, a dog bite injury is a common occurrence. If you, your child or another family member has been injured in this way, our San Diego dog bite attorneys are ready and willing to help you recover compensation.
Common Types of Dog Bite Injury
Over our years of experience as San Diego personal injury attorneys, we have successfully handled numerous cases relating to a dog bite. The underlying injuries in these cases generally fall into one of the following categories:
- Puncture wounds
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Fractures and broken bones
Regardless of what form your dog bite injury takes, you can have the utmost confidence in our San Diego attorneys’ ability to represent you expertly.
To find out more about how our attorneys can use their legal experience, knowledge of San Diego leash law and similar matters, and experience of handling all manner of personal injury cases to help you after a dog bite, call us today on 619-369-3323.