The Centers for Disease Control says that more and more people are becoming sick from eating salmonella-contaminated ground beef. The story is developing rapidly and, as of this writing, 63 people have reported illness.
So far, 33 people have been hospitalized. Nobody has been killed.
The beef was distributed by several large chains including Walmart and Sam’s Club. The company who sold the beef, JBS Tolleson, Inc. from Arizona, has recalled 6.5 million pounds of it so far.
Making it even more confusing, the meat was sold under many different name brands at many different locations. People in as many as 26 states could be affected.
At Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP, we know how scary these situations can be. Many people do not know there is a problem with the products they buy until they see stories like this on the news. Unfortunately, this is only one of the thousands of current recalls happening in the US.
Do you know what to do if you are hurt by something you use or consume? If you need an exceptional San Diego product liability attorney, turn to Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
WHAT IS PRODUCT LIABILITY?
Companies and manufacturers have a duty to protect the people who use and consume their products. In the US, there are strict guidelines when it comes to products made and sold here, from the vehicles we drive to the food and medicines we consume. That does not mean that everything is safe all of the time, especially in this modern era of online shopping. You never really know what you are getting anymore.
Product liability cases usually arise one of three ways:
- Poor Design – a poorly designed product can cause serious harm to consumers if it malfunctions. Poor designs often affect entire lines of products.
- Manufacturing Defect – anything that alters a product from its original design during manufacturing can cause consumers harm.
- Labeling Problems – companies are required to properly label their products, including instructions and warnings. If they do not list risks or side effects, or if a medication dosage is labeled incorrectly, people could get hurt.
Here are a few current examples from a website that tracks recalls:
- A cake bar recalled due to undeclared milk and soy.
- Medication recalled due to labeling mix-up.
- Vehicles recalled because of potential brake fluid problems.
Think of the thousands of products you and your family use each day. Are you sure all of them are safe?
MOVING FORWARD FROM HERE
If you or a loved one have become ill or gotten injured from a product that was used or consumed, seek legal assistance immediately. Product liability cases are difficult and nearly impossible to win without an experienced legal team by your side. At Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP, we are ready to stand by your side to fight for the compensation you deserve. You can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 619-296-5884.