A brain injury tends to be one of the most serious and complex matters handled by a San Diego personal injury attorney, due to the likelihood of long-lasting and severe symptoms. The term “brain injury” encompasses a wide range of possibilities, from a minor brain injury sustained during a fall (which may be so mild it is never noticed by the victim) to a severe traumatic brain injury resulting in permanent disability and lifelong additional support needs. A brain injury can be sustained even where there is no loss of consciousness, potentially inflicting issues such as headaches, confusion, memory loss and other long-term conditions.
When you, or a loved one, has sustained any type of brain injury, our San Diego attorneys are ready and willing to handle your case, ensuring that you receive a fair settlement in respect of your brain injury, loss of earnings, medical expenses and other associated financial losses.
What Are the Different Types of Brain Injuries?
While practicing as San Diego brain injury attorneys, our lawyers have encountered a wide range of brain injuries. Potentially arising from car accidents, sports injuries, slip-and-fall accidents, falling objects and a variety of other scenarios, brain injuries will normally fall into one of the following categories:
- Concussion — It is caused by a blow to the head. Concussion can result in brain damage and loss of brain function. Concussions are often caused by sports injuries, falls, or auto accidents, and can have varying levels of severity.
- Contusions — This refers to bruising of the brain, caused by a direct impact to the victim’s head.
- Penetration injuries — It is caused by an object piercing the skull and brain.
- Coup-contrecoup — This type of brain injury involves a contusion, but develops on the opposite site of the brain.
- Traumatic brain injury — A TBI results from a trauma to the brain, these injuries commonly occur during auto accidents, assaults and falls.
- Hypoxic/anoxic brain injury — Rather than being caused by trauma, these types of brain injuries occur when the brain does not receive enough oxygen. Some of the scenarios in which this can happen include near drowning, choking, smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide inhalation.
Your San Diego brain injury attorneys can use their expert knowledge of California personal injury law to determine which category your brain injury belongs to and, as such, the best way in which to proceed with your case.
How Could a San Diego Brain Injury Attorney Help Me?
You should never underestimate the value of a legal education, and resulting experience, when it comes to seeking compensation for any form of brain injury. As these injuries can be incredibly complex, it can be difficult to prove that your injury resulted from a specific incident, or the extent to which it is expected to affect you in future. Through reviewing all available evidence, including your medical records, your San Diego brain injury attorney will work tirelessly to hold the responsible party accountable for the consequences of their actions or negligence.
To learn more about how we could help in your specific case, call Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP, on 619-369-3323 today to schedule your free initial consultation.