When you start your day, we know that you never plan something bad happening. Regardless of what you are doing or where you are going, the last thing you think about is an accident happening.
When more than a dozen people went out on a fishing boat for work the other day near San Diego, we know they did not plan on a fire breaking out.
Last weekend, the crew of a nearby boat contacted the Coast Guard to report that a fishing boat was in flames about 30 miles south of Point Loma. The crew of the boat that reported the incident helped pull 15 people from the water. Two victims were rushed to the hospital due to severe burn injuries.
Unfortunately, it seems that three people lost their lives.
This incident makes us wonder about our own safety when we are out and about. The people on this boat were working, but this could have easily been a tour boat. Do you know where to turn if a tragedy takes the life of someone you love?
If you need a knowledgeable San Diego wrongful death attorney, turn to Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP. Our team will investigate your case and fight for you.
Wrongful death cases arise as a result of negligent or wrongful acts by another party that cause the death of another person. These lawsuits are civil cases as opposed to criminal cases and can be brought by surviving family members (or their estates) of the person who was killed. Here are some ways we see the cases originate:
- Workplace incidents – if a worker is not provided proper equipment or safety training or the work environment is unsafe.
- Vehicle accidents – unsafe, drunk, or distracted drivers can cause unnecessary deaths.
- Road conditions – agencies often fail to inspect and maintain roadways as well as they should.
- Faulty products – anytime a product has a poor design, is manufactured poorly or is improperly labeled.
- Medical malpractice – this can include misdiagnosis, delayed treatment, surgical mistakes, medication errors, and more.
These are just a few ways in which these cases show up. We strongly advise seeking legal assistance when determining if a loved one was killed due to someone else’s negligence.
When a life is taken, families are often left picking up the pieces. While we know compensation will not bring a life back, it can help with incident-related expenses and more:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of future income of the deceased
- Punitive damages
What You Can Do
We know that you never expect tragedy to strike, especially due to the negligence of someone else. Unfortunately, there are times when people break rules and neglect their duties. If you have lost a loved one and suspect their death was due to someone else’s mistake, Hiden, Rott & Oertle, LLP will work with you to find the best path forward. You can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling our office.