Mr. Hiden has developed a unique litigation approach for select and highly complex workers’ compensation cases. This legal strategy has resulted in liability outside of the “exclusive remedy rule” which currently restricts the ability of individuals to pursue their workers compensation cases in the civil court system. This novel approach, pioneered by Mr. Hiden, has resulted in a proven method heavily involving the use of the Unruh Civil Rights Act, in conjunction with the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (“RICO”) Act, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) and intensive review of existing UR Policy Manuals and Procedures. Coupled with select governmental audits and videotaped depositions/inquiries of claims adjusters and management, including Chief Executive Officers, Vice-Presidents and other Board Members, Mr. Hiden’s representation has resulted in numerous settlements in excess of one million dollars. Although the Firm represents many workers’ compensation clients, Mr. Hiden’s practice in this area is limited to those select workers’ compensations matters which include the Unruh Civil Rights Act, OSHA and RICO components, with overall value in the seven figure range.
Mr. Hiden”s practice focuses on counseling, litigation and transactions in a wide array of substantative areas, including unfair business practices, employment law, media, sports, entertainment, telecommunications, high tech and emerging technology matters.
Mr. Hiden has been instrumental in procuring tens of millions of dollars in settlements for clients involved in major accidents, insurance coverage disputes, cost recovery, contracts and torts.
Mr. Hiden has also served as defense counsel in multi-million dollar tort, personal injury and contract claims in court and private arbitration as well as business interruption, property damage and liability insurance coverage claims in state courts.
Mr. Hiden has served as general counsel for The San Diego Riptide, an AF2 team, in San Diego, CA.
Mr. Hiden also serves as legal counsel to numerous medical providers throughout the United States in areas of lien enforcement.
Mr. Hiden is an appointed Arbitrator by the San Diego County Bar Association and actively participates in pro-bono representation.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Consumer Litigation
- Elder Abuse
- Brain Injuries
- Recreational Vehicle Injuries
- Video Game Law
- Workers” Compensation
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. – 1993
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California
- B.S. cum laude – 1990
- Questions and Answers on the Use of Small Claims Court in Personal Injury Cases, California Chiropractic Journal, Vol. 25, No. 1, February, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association, Arbitrator, Fee Disputes Committee
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego
- San Diego Superior Court, Chairperson, Arbitration Sub-Committee
- California Chiropractic Association, Chairperson, Personal Injury Sub-Committee